Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 23 April 2012

Info Post
This weekend we celebrated my husband's birthday. He gets to enjoy one more year in his 20's! So I thought I'd make him one of his favorite breakfasts: Biscuits and Gravy.



It took me a few years to learn my husband's breakfast preferences... no dainty fruit parfaits, no sweet breakfast pastry, no oatmeal, no fruit anywhere near his pancakes. He wants eggs, meat, and potatoes. Or some combination of that. (Does he know how much he's missing out on?) So I thought biscuits and gravy would fit the bill for his birthday breakfast. 

I found this recipe shortly after Jeremy and I met. We were at a friend's house for breakfast and he was raving about how good the from-scratch gravy was and how I needed to learn how to make it. As I spotted the empty gravy mix package near her stove, I decided I'd show him what real gravy tastes like. The problem was I'd never made a gravy before and really had no clue where to start! This recipe is super easy and so comforting!

Start by baking the biscuits. I use a can of flaky layer biscuits from the refrigerator, but if you have your own biscuit recipe you love, use that! 


Brown 1 lb. of mild pork sausage over medium heat.




Drain all but 2 Tbsp of fat from the pan. Slowly add 1/2 cup of flour into the pan as the meat continues to cook. 


Use a wooden spoon to work the flour into the meat.


Add 4 cups of 2% milk to the pan and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. (about 5-8 minutes)



 Once thickened, add 1 tsp of salt,


and 1/2 tsp of pepper. 


Add more milk to thin gravy if necessary. Split the warm biscuits on a plate, 


and load them up with the thick, yummy gravy! Sprinkle on some fresh cracked black pepper.


And then if you're my husband, add double the biscuits and a ton more gravy. Hey, it's his birthday!


Here's the recipe:

Biscuits and Gravy
1 lb. mild pork sausage
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups 2% milk
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can of refrigerated biscuits

Bake biscuits according to package directions. Brown sausage over medium heat and drain all but 2 Tbsp of fat from the pan. Slowly add flour into the pan as the meat continues to cook. Use a wooden spoon to work the flour into the meat. Add milk and continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened (about 5-8 minutes).  Add salt and pepper and if necessary, add more milk to thin the gravy. Serve on top of warm biscuits.

If you would like to follow me, you can find that information below. I love making new friends! Leave me a comment and let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment