Breaking News
Loading...
Friday 18 May 2012

Info Post
Oh MyGlam. We need to talk.
A subscription with you is like an emotional roller coaster.
As you may recall from previous GlamBag reviews, I have been pretty disappointed with the MyGlam service so far. I joined in January, and each bag since then has been average at best.. really nothing that knocked my socks off. Sometimes they are just downright dreadful. Last month gave me hope, however. The bag was pretty good.. it included an Urban Decay Eyeliner and a full size Dermstore Lip quench among other things. So, being the optimistic girl that I am, I was looking forward to this month's GlamBag.
Oh, the naiveté.
First of all, the bag itself was broken.. The zipper is completely screwed up and doesn't zip at all. Now, whoever packed this put everything in the bag, went to zip it, and either broke the zipper or saw that it was broken. Yet they still threw it in a box and sent it to me.. I really dislike this inattention to detail and lack of care.
You may remember from my previous reviews that the March MyGlam bag smelled TERRIBLE, like gross toxic superglue or something. Happily, last month's bag was free of that fragrance. I am sad to report that its back! As soon as I opened the box I was overwhelmed by the nasty, "chemically", plastic smell. That scent has completely pervaded all the other items in the box.
Also included was a dark copper lipstick. Not only will this shade never work on me, I don't think it will work on a lot of people. I think when a subscription service sends out something like a lipstick, it should be in a pretty universally-flattering color. This totally off trend, out-of-season, super dark metallic copper seemed like a choice that was again, quite thoughtless. It is totally useless to me. There is also a carded vial of Philosophy "Love Sweet Love" fragrance. While I don't think this qualifies as a "Deluxe Sample", I have been wanting to try out this perfume so from a personal standpoint MyGlam gets a pass. There is also a set of nail stickers, as well as two MyGlam branded brushes. Here is my issue with the brushes: they are of average quality, and nice I guess, but I don't think they should be counted towards the 4-5 beauty samples we are promised. If they are included at all, they should be an extra. I have brushes, I don't need any more.. when I signed up for MyGlam it was under the expectation that I would be receiving beauty products to try and evaluate- Not one-off, MyGlam-branded bag fillers.
Let's just say this bag did not wow me. I know its ten dollars a month- but with companies like Birchbox and Beauty Army frequently knocking it out of the park at a similar price point, I expect more.
To be honest I have only kept the subscription to review it for you, my readers. That and the crippling paranoia that as soon as I cancel, the next month's box will be curated by Oprah and include a free car or something.
Wishful thinking.
Do you get MyGlam or another beauty subscription service? What do you think?
Thank you so much for reading!
All the best,
Jessica

Disclosure: I purchased this subscription myself for review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment