Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 10 October 2012

Info Post
I've said this before, and I'm sure I'll say it a million times more... I just love my new house!

One of the many things I adore about our home is the breezeway between the garage and the house. It's like having an extra little room that I get to decorate for everyone who enters our home to see! And since it is enclosed, I can decorate with less weather-resistant items than our front porch would be able to handle.

And since I'm in full swing Fall decorating mode, today I'm going to show you the Burlap Autumn Pillow I made for a chair we have sitting in our breezeway.


Here's what you'll need:
Burlap 
Polyester Outdoor Thread (not required, but better for outdoor pillows)
Tape
Black Sharpie

I started with an outdoor pillow form I had purchased from Joann's and covered in a bright, summery fabric using this Envelope Pillow Cover Tutorial. The Electric Blue had to go now that Fall is here!


I cut three pieces of white burlap using the dimensions from my Envelope Pillow Cover Tutorial. I'm currently having a love affair with white burlap. OBSESSED!


I used my computer to print the word Autumn onto regular computer paper. 


Then I took the front piece of my pillow cover and taped the paper face down onto the burlap to hold it in place. 


After flipping the piece over, the letters were pretty easy to see through the burlap.


I started with a fine tip black Sharpie to outline the letters,


and finished coloring in the thicker parts with a larger tipped Sharpie. I found it easiest to use a dot technique to fill the letter in rather than trying to drag the Sharpie across the burlap. 


I removed the paper and tape and sewed the burlap pieces together to create an envelope pillow cover. Find that tutorial HERE. Just be sure Autumn is on the inside when you sew the cover together, so it will be on the outside when you stuff your pillow! I used a polyester outdoor thread since the pillow will live outside, but I'm sure regular old thread would work just fine.


 I used a large zigzag stitch to make sure the burlap would stay where I wanted it. 


Once the cover was finished, I turned it right side out and stuffed my pillow form inside!




Isn't she lovely? It is the perfect addition to my breezeway! Hopefully soon I'll have more breezeway decorations to show you! 
Image Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment