Breaking News
Loading...
Monday 27 August 2012

Info Post
Time for more pillow updates!

I may have developed a slight obsession with recovering pillows and discovering all kinds of ways to dress them up... My bed is going to overflow soon if I don't find a new obsession!

None the less, this felt flower pillow design I saw at Southern Lovely ABSOLUTELY darling and couldn't be simpler. It's a great way to add a pop of color and gives a great amount of texture and dimension to your space!

Here's how mine turned out:


Cute, right?
Well you can have one too!

Here's how:

Start with a pillow case. Use one you already have or make a new cover. Whatever floats your boat. You can find my super easy tutorial for envelope pillow covers HERE.

I prefer to use a white backdrop to make the color of the flower really pop. 


Next you're going to need to cut out your felt flower petals... about a million of them. 
Ok, maybe not quite that many, but you'll want about 30 each of small, medium, and large petals.


The size and shape of your petals are totally up to you. I just eyeballed mine according to the size of my pillow. Here's a picture of the different sizes I used:


This is the easiest way I found to cut all the petals:
 First cut out your largest petal then copy it twice. Trim your second petal a little shorter than the first, and trim your third petal even shorter than the second. By gradually trimming down your largest petal size, you are able to keep the shape of your petals consistent.

Once you have the template for your small, medium, and large petals, use them to cut around to create the rest of your petals. No tracing required!


Arrange your petals around the pillow starting with the largest petals on the outside and working your way into the center to the smallest petals. You'll want to lay it all out before glueing to make sure the petals are spaced correctly and overlap nicely.


Once you like the way your pillow looks, start glueing all the petals down, again starting on the outside and working your way in. I only glued the bottom edge of the petals so the top could fan up and add lots of dimension to the pillow.


Finish the pillow off by adding a flower to the center using these instructions:


1) Cut 6 medium size circles from felt.
2) Place a drop of hot glue into the center of a circle and fold it in half.
3) Place another drop of hot glue in the center...
4) and fold in half again.
5) Hot glue the tip of the folded circle.
6) Press the glued tip into the center of another circle.
7) Repeat steps with 3 more circles, folding them into quarters and glueing them onto the circle.
8) Fold the last circle into quarters and glue into the middle of the flower.

Hot glue your flower onto the center of your pillow and stuff your pillow inside!




 I just love this pillow! It adds such a feminine touch to my all-boy household! And I don't even think my husband minds the flower since I used a masculine dark gray felt.
Except when I told him it's a "Pretty Pillow" which translates to Do Not Use!
: )



Subscribe to Blog | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Pinterest | Party with Me
LoveAlwaysSignature-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment