Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 24 November 2012

Info Post
Welcome back to Day Two of
12 Crafty Days of Christmas


I'm so glad you're here!

I've got another festive ornament to share with you today. This is the first year I decided to make our big tree in the living room my "pretty tree" and let the boys decorate a smaller tree in their room with their ornaments. So I need to come up with lots of new tree decorations this year!

You know my love for old sheet music (see my projects here and here), so when I saw these simple Sheet Music Ornaments from Better Homes and Garden's Holiday Crafts, I knew I had to give them a try!


Supplies
sheet music
Mod Podge in Matte finish
cream cardstock
scissors
sewing needle
black or brown ink
cotton swab
wire ornament hangers

Fold a piece of cardstock in half and draw an ornament shape.


Cut your ornament out and unfold the paper to make an ornament template. Be creative with your ornament shapes! Make them as intricate or simple as you'd like. Set the templates aside. 


Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge onto a piece of cardstock and place a sheet of music on top. Smooth out any air bubbles and let dry about 15 minutes. I find it easier to work with smaller sheets, so I cut my cardstock and sheet music in half before adding Mod Podge. Each half sheet of cardstock gave me one ornament. You can try placing your sheet music both across and up and down the ornament for variety.

 {TIP} To keep the paper from curling, set them underneath a heavy book while drying. 


Take your ornament templates and trace the shape onto the back (cardstock) side of your paper. 


Cut your ornaments out with scissors or a craft knife.


Poke a hole in the top of your ornament with a sewing needle. 


Dab a cotton swab onto a black or brown ink pad and rub it along the edges of your ornament to give it an aged look. Don't look for perfection; making it messy is the key!


Apply several coats of Mod Podge to the front and back of the ornament, allowing to dry 15-20 minutes between coats. The ornaments will most likely curl when you're applying the Mod Podge... Don't worry! Once they're dry to the touch, place them under heavy books for a few hours and they will flatten out nicely!

Hook a wire ornament hanger through the hole and hang your new Vintage Sheet Music Ornament on the tree! 



Make sure to come back tomorrow for more 12 Crafty Days of Christmas!


Yesterday's Christmas craft: 

Click HERE to get a Black Friday discount code from Silhouette!

{here's where I party}
Image Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment