Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 12 September 2012

Info Post
Hi Friends!

Summer is winding down, and Fall is on its way! I love sleeping with the windows open on cool nights, burning cinnamon candles, wearing sweaters and boots, and MOST importantly eating anything and everything pumpkin. Yum!

The changing of the season has motivated me to spruce up the outside of the house a bit. (My son's 3rd birthday party right around the corner may also have something to do with it!) Soon I'll show you the updates I've made, but today I thought I'd review the House Number Wreath I shared over at Sumo's Sweet Stuff awhile back in case you missed it. 

This is the front door of my house. 



I love all the details in the molding, but the door needed a little dressing up.



We live out in the country, which means having a super long address... County Road North South East West; it all gets a little confusing to people trying to find our house. So I thought a pretty floral wreath with our house number on it would be the perfect addition to the door!

This one from Dana at Teach Craft Love served as my inspiration. It's beautiful! I love that you can still see some of the wreath form; it gives it a more natural look.


Here's the list of supplies you'll need:
wreath form
flower bush
wooden numbers
paint 
foam brush
twist ties
hot glue 
scissors

I started by painting my wooden numbers in Desert Turquoise with a foam brush. Two coats did the job. Don't worry about painting the back, but be sure to get the sides.



I picked up my wreath form for $4.99, but as you probably know Hobby Lobby puts just about everything on sale eventually. Just check their sales ad to find the right week. Or if you're impatient like me and want to craft NOW, print out their handy dandy 40% off one item coupon and pick it up today!



There are some gorgeous flower stems available at craft stores, but I often find them too expensive for how I want to use them. I can usually find a flower bush that is similar and has a lot more flowers for a better price. 



The easiest way to trim your stems is to cut the plastic all the way around the wire,



and bend the wire back and forth until it snaps. This saves time, effort, and your scissors by not trying to cut through the wire. 



I left about 2-3 inches on my stems.



Then I arranged all the flowers and numbers around the wreath to find the spacing I wanted.



Now poke your flower stems through the branches of the wreath.



Flip the wreath over and bend the stems slighltly to secure them between the branches. Add drops of hot glue to ensure your flowers will stay in place.



Use as many or as little flowers as you'd like. I ended up using 8 for mine. 



Now onto the numbers. At first I followed Dana's instructions and hot glued the crap out of the numbers to attach them to the wreath. In the picture below you can see that because the shape of the wreath, the number doesn't sit flat and is barely attached to the wreath at all. This method would probably work with smaller numbers, but mine are pretty large. Back to the drawing board.



Then I dug some twist ties out of my drawer and attached several to the back of the numbers with hot glue. 



I weaved the twist ties through the branches and wrapped them tightly around a branch in the back. This takes some maneuvering to get the numbers to sit straight, but it holds the numbers perfectly in place!


I picked up a Command hook to avoid damaging the door and hung my new wreath!



Now my door looks so pretty!






























And hopefully people will find our house a little easier too!



How do you like to dress up your door for Fall? 



Subscribe to Blog | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Pinterest | Party with Me

LoveAlwaysSignature-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment