Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 4 September 2012

Info Post
I'm an organizer. It's just who I am.
And one of my absolute favorite organizing blogs to read is iHeart Organizing. Jen has given me so much inspiration to get our home organized, but more importantly she has shown me how to make organization beautiful! 

Some of my favorite projects from her have been so simple and inexpensive, but made such an impact on getting her home organized. And today I channeled Jen to tackle the problem of our disappearing remotes.  

I don't know why, but my family is always losing our remotes. They're either stuck in between couch cushions, kicked underneath the couch... never where they should be! So I decided it was time to make a home for them. 

Last Christmas I found round Kleenex boxes that I knew would be perfect to hold our remotes, so I got two of them. No, I didn't need Kleenex... just wanted the container : )
And here's how I turned it into the perfect remote caddy:

I started with my Kleenex box, spray adhesive, and fabric. 
(ignore the ribbon... it didn't end up getting used!)


I cut the fabric leaving about an inch extra for both the top and bottom of the box. Then I sprayed a thin layer of adhesive onto the back of the fabric and wrapped it around the box.


While the glue was still tacky, I tucked in the fabric around the bottom and top of the box. 



Here's where you could use the ribbon if you wanted to. You could glue a piece of ribbon around the inner edge of the top of the box to give it a finished look, but I thought mine looked fine without it. It's going to be hidden by remotes anyway!

To make my remote caddy extra special I added a fabric flower to the front.


Here's how I made the flower:


1) Trace 10 circles onto your fabric of choice. I used a (very clean) soup can to trace mine.
2) Cut out your 10 circles.
3) Create a petal by folding a circle into fourths and secure with hot glue. Glue the tip of the petal onto another circle.
4) Continue making petals until you have 4 glued onto your bottom circle.
5) Make another petal and glue it on top your first layer, centered between two petals.
6) Continue making petals until your second layer is complete.
7) Take your last circle and roll into a cone.
8) Glue the tip of your cone into the center of your flower. 
9) Straighten the center of your flower and fluff the petal layers around it.



Isn't it pretty? And all it took was a recycled box, a little glue, and some leftover fabric from my Cork Board Jewelry Organizer


Here's the caddy I made with my other Kleenex box. It's just some gray card stock, a doily, and Mod Podge! 
(P.S. ignore the hideous wood paneling from our old house!)


I just love simple little projects like this! 
How do you keep your remotes corralled? 



Subscribe to Blog | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Pinterest | Party with Me
LoveAlwaysSignature-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment