Breaking News
Loading...
Sunday 15 July 2012

Info Post
  Did you have a good weekend? I did! I got a semi-surprise visit from my Mom and sister, which meant lots of food, lots of talking, lots of laughing, and LOTS of coffee. More on that later : )

Before I show you my latest project, I wanted to let everyone know I updated my Advertising tab at the top of my page. There are some great options, including sponsoring a Giveaway, Product Review, Ad Swaps, or a Premium Sidebar Ad, which includes a SOLO post and giveaway option! That means lots of exposure for you! You can find all the details HERE.

After I decided to focus on decorating my boy's bedroom, I'm finally making some progress.

The first thing I wanted to revamp was this sports themed lamp from their old bedroom. It was cute in their old room, but it definitely isn't going to jive with the inspiration I have for their new room!

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 1

So first I prepped it for painting by wrapping foil around the cord and light socket and taped it for a clean line. Then it got a fresh, bright coat of white spray paint.

Ok, MANY coats of white spray paint. I am so impatient.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 2

While it was drying I brainstormed what to do with the 3 balls on the lamp base. They looked nice painted all white, but just felt like it needed a little something. I thought something graphic like plane model numbers might be cool. So after calling my husband and asking what his favorite vintage plane models are, I decided to add P51.

I wanted to try this SUPER easy transfer method for awhile and it worked beautifully! Here's how simple it is:

I printed P51 in a distressed army font from the computer.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 3

I cut the numbers/letter apart and lightly shaded the back of the image with a pencil. Make sure you cover the image fully.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 4

I taped the image, pencil side down, on the lamp. For a circular surface, just fold each corner a bit to make it fit. Then I traced the outline of the image with a pen.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 5

I peeled back the paper and there was my perfect image outline! Some pencil shading was left on the lamp, but it was easily erased.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 6

I mixed black and light grey craft paint to get a beautiful dark, smoky gray color. Tracing the outline first, I painted the images on the lamp.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 7

Why didn't I try doing this before? It was so easy! I love how it turned out, but I wanted to distress it a bit so it wasn't so bold.

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 8

So I took some sand paper to it and even very lightly spray painted around it to soften the edges. Now it's perfect!

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 26

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 25

Boys Lamp Redo Edit 24

Next I'll show you the disaster I had with the lamp shade and how I DIY'd it back together! I can't wait to show you the lamp all completed!

LoveAlwaysSignature-2

0 comments:

Post a Comment